Frost House Clarens
Frost House is one of the earliest buildings in Clarens dating back to around 1920 and was saved from dereliction in 2016, when the house was sensitively restored by its current owners.
Originally built of cast sandstone aggregate for a modest owner, the restoration of Frost House was overseen by local architect Jaap Boonstra in such a way as to make it more relevant for a modern relaxed lifestyle, yet retaining most of the historical and original design features that give the house its charming characterful appearance. The front façade is as it would have looked almost 100 years ago. The garden has been landscaped to attract wildlife and birds, using mostly indigenous plants and veld grasses that are so indicative of the Eastern Free State landscape.
The house is on Church Street just off the village square opposite the police station, making it conveniently positioned within Clarens for a car-free park-and-walk visit to the many restaurants, bars, art galleries and grocery store.
- 2 x Luxurious Bedrooms both with en-suite shower, basin and toilet
Each room has a queen size bed supplied with quality linen
- Open plan lounge, dining and kitchen
- Wood burning Godin Stove heats the whole house in winter
- Entertainment patio with glorious views over the nearby mountains
- Carport for single car with space in driveway for an additional car within the property
- Fully equipped kitchen with gas stove, electric oven, microwave, kettle, toaster, dishwasher and under counter bar fridge/freezer
- Built in braai with utensils and freestanding Weber style braai
- Outside laundry facilities with larger fridge/freezer for longer stay guests.
- Housekeeping service by arrangement (additional costs apply)
Suggested Things To Do
(on foot from Frost House)
- Explore the quaint village of Clarens
- Hike in the nearby mountains of the Clarens Conservancy
- Cycle the nearby hills (a licence can be purchased from Clarens Conservancy) or road cycle between Clarens and Fouriesburg
- Treat yourself to a late afternoon wild water swim within the Clarens Conservancy followed by a 35 minute hike to dry off in the hills around the dam
- Run a 5km circular route: Start at the square, run up Main St and turn left at Malherbe St running down the hill past the township. Turn left at the T junction (R711) and run back past the golf course. Turn left at the next T junction (R712) and turn left into Main St, running up the hill back towards the square
- Birdwatch from the patio or on the nearby river trails
- Attend a service in one of the charming Churches (everyone is welcome)
- Walk to a game drive (organised drives leave from the town’s square)
- Relax in a wellness spa
- Play a round of Golf in Clarens (a 5 minute drive to the golf course)
- Attend an art course
- Help out at the Tshepong Charity (plan this ahead of your visit)
Suggested Planned Trips In The Area
- Explore the Golden Gate National Park and visit the Basotho Cultural Village
- Explore the Royal Natal Drakensberg Park and surrounding peaks
- Visit Sterkfontein Dam and Nature Reserve
- Explore the nearby Free State towns of Fouriesburg and Rosendal
- Pre-book a day visit to Sandstone Estates near Ficksburg, the largest private collection of narrow gauge steam locomotives in the world
- Book a table for lunch at The Rose Hip on the farm Helpmekaar, and sample the high altitude Bald Ibis Wine produced on the farm
- Go EXTREME! Horse riding, White Water Rafting, Hot Air Ballooning and Abseiling (enquire at various places in and around Clarens)
- A day visit into Lesotho or ski at Afriski in the winter
R500 per person per night (minimum charge of R1000 per night, 2 guests)
Additional Cleaning Fee once off R250 per booking, not included in the rate.
Frost House is not suitable for young children under 12 and/or pets.
House can only accommodate a maximum of 4 persons per night.